Last Updated on September 8, 2020
Two years have already passed since you welcomed a new member of the family. Now, your toddler can communicate with you using simple sentences. Moreover, he or she is very curious about the surroundings and explores everything at home. The learning process of 2-year-olds is based on mimicking what they see their parents and other adults doing every day.
Hence, when you have to choose a gift for a 2-year-old toddler, you must select something that helps their learning. It may look quite difficult. However, it is simpler than you think. A toy is always a good gift. But, what type of toy is best? Well, there are some things you can take into account.
According to Rebecca Parlakian, toddlers learn by imitating simple tasks. They see how you cook dinner and then try to mimic the action, for example. Parlakian works at Zero to Three, where she is a Senior Director of Programs. She has ample experience with toddlers and their game needs. She says: “Toddlers are also ready for toys that challenge their emerging problem-solving skills.”
Therefore, good toys for toddlers should motivate them to discover the world that surrounds them. Construction toys, play cookware, play tool sets, and other similar toys can be considered. But if you still find it difficult to select a good gift, below you will find a list that will help you. The list includes the 10 best gifts for 2-year-olds. They have been grouped according to their price range. This way, you will be able to select the best fit for your budget.
Gifts Up to $20
This set contains 9 wooden robots that can be stacked together in different ways. Your toddler will be challenged to find new shapes by connecting them. The robots are all the same size, made of non-toxic materials. This toy fosters the toddler’s creativity and imagination. Moreover, fine motor skills are required to put the robots together. As with any other toy, these wooden stacking robots have some pros and cons.
Let us begin with the pros:
- The robots are very attractive and beautifully finished in bright and cheerful colors;
- They are quite durable;
- Batteries are not needed, which means economic, continuous, and noise-free operation;
- Great value. This toy gives much fun at a reasonable price.
Now, the cons are:
- More suitable for children at least 3 years old. But this does not mean that your 2-year-old will not find it interesting though. However, in some cases, you should wait for some time for your toddler to be fully engaged with it.
- Overall, this is a good gift to foster development.
Schylling Wood Stacking Robots Puzzle
How many of these clever wood robots can you put together and keep them balanced? From Schylling Toys the world leader in traditional toys and classic fun, this unique building toy can be put together in many different positions creating many different shapes. Brightly colored and made from solid wood, these durable robots can be interlocked in many creative ways. How many innovative ways can you find to put them all together? Are you ready to accept the challenge? There are 9, 3.5 inch robots included in the set.
This toy has many features that a toddler will love. Your 2-year-old can insert coins in this piggy bank. The toy will count them as they are inserted. The toy includes 10 beautiful coins in different bright colors. Each coin has a number printed on one side. The other side has a picture of an animal on it.
Another great feature is the piggy’s nose. If you press it, the pig will oink or sing. The advanced learning mode will teach your toddler some words in Spanish. It contains more than 40 tunes and phrases.
The pros of this toy are:
- Right size for a toddler;
- Well-built and durable;
- Very easy to use;
- The coins are rather large and a toddler cannot swallow them accidentally;
- A good selection of tunes;
- Batteries are included.
The cons are:
- Very short time to insert the coins before the counting is reset.
Overall, this toy delivers many good features for your money.
Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Smart Stages Piggy Bank
Every baby develops at their own pace, and Smart Stages technology gives you the ability to select the stage that’s best for your child! There are a variety of developmentally appropriate songs, phrases and sounds within two levels of play – just slide the switch!
These 26 laminated flashcards are colorful and very attractive. Your toddler will surely love them. Each card has an uppercase letter printed on one side. A picture and the word that describes the picture are printed on the other side. The cards can be kept together through a re-closable ring.
These flashcards have the following advantages:
- The cards are made of thick material;
- Beautiful artwork;
- Easy to clean;
- The cards do not contain any toxic material.
On the other hand, these cards have the following cons:
- Each card is quite thick. Thus the entire set may be difficult to transport for an outing with your toddler;
- The illustrations, although beautiful, can be confusing sometimes.
This toy is very good for learning the alphabet at a very affordable price.
My ABC’s Ring Flash Cards
These flashcards will help children learn their ABCs using colorful pictures! The back of the card pictures uppercase letters.
Gifts from $20 to $50
This is a small size doll with a beautiful face, unlike other dolls that have a rather creepy look. Owing to some beans in its bottom, the doll gives a more natural weighted feeling. She can sit and her neck rotates. This doll is made of good materials, thus durability should not be a big issue.
The pros of this product are:
- The size of 12” is smaller than most dolls on the market. This is perfect for toddlers;
- A cute face that will not scare small children;
- The face and extremities of the doll are made of vinyl, which is quite soft to the touch.
The cons are a few, and a few we can mention are the following:
- The doll has a strong vanilla smell. While most people find it agreeable, others may not. The odor will fade over time though;
- For the size, this doll is on the expensive side.
Overall, this is a lovely and realistic doll that your toddler will enjoy cuddling.
Corolle Mon Premier Poupon Bebe Calin Maria Toy Baby Doll
Beginning at 18 months, a child is capable of associating the image or drawing of an object with its real version, of passing from the abstract to the concrete. A doll helps children “build” their first emotions: they observe their parents and start imitating them when they take care of their baby doll the way their parents take care of them.
Sand toys are among the favorites of young children. This load truck will be a big hit for your toddler. It is good for a trip to the beach, a sandbox, or a playground in your backyard. Its sturdy construction will take common abuse from small children. The truck can transport sand, rocks, and anything else your child wants to load on it. It is fine for both indoor and outdoor play.
Some of the most remarkable pros of this toy are:
- Sturdy and very durable. The truck will remain in good conditions independently of whether your 2-year-old rides on it or fills it with rocks. The truck will withstand the abuse;
- It moves quite easily over sand and does not get stuck;
- Very easy to clean;
- Made of non-toxic materials.
This toy has cons too, among which the most important to mention is:
- The bed of the truck may pop up while playing if it is not held down toward the front.
- This a sturdy truck, bigger than regular sandbox trucks. It is suitable for a 2-year-old.
Hape Load & Tote Dump Truck
Hit the beach for some fun in the sun! This Monster Digger is ready to be put to work. Use this digger-on-wheels to dig and clear sand for a solid sand castle foundation. Then, fill this digger’s bucket with sand or water to complete your building task! The Monster Digger can pretty much roll with anything. Hape’s toys stimulate children through every stage of development and help nurture and develop their natural abilities. All Hape products sold in North America meet or exceed all applicable safety standards.
Finding a board game that a toddler can enjoy is not easy. However, this simplified version of the “Orchard” will allow your toddler to partake in the fun. Players must cooperate to harvest the fruits from an orchard before the raven comes.
Even though it is simple, the benefits of this game for your toddler are manifold. Your 2-year-old will be exposed to game rules, which must be understood before playing. Through cooperation, the social skills of your toddler will develop further. Color recognition and counting are other skills that this game fosters.
Thus, the biggest pros of this toy are:
- Simple rules that allow toddlers to participate in the game;
- It teaches your toddler to take turns and follow directions;
- The game can be used to teach some science basic concepts.
The cons of this game a few, but the following is worth mentioning:
- While the game allows all members of the family to play, it may be too simplistic for older children.
This is a great way to introduce your toddler to cooperative board games.
My Very First Games – First Orchard Cooperative Game
Working as a team, the children try to pick the fruits from the trees before the raven reaches the end of the path. Suitable for 1-4 players ages 2+
If you want to start developing a sense of music in your 2-year-old, this toy will help you to do it. The resonators are color-coded to play the basic C scale. The resonators are built with quality materials. Hence, this toy is quite durable. More importantly, they have a very beautiful tone. Whether for elementary music lessons or music therapy, this toy is a great gift for a toddler.
The pros of this toy are:
- The resonator bells come with a case for easy transportation;
- Ear training along with the development of fine motor skills;
- The toy produces full tones with a resonating sound.
The cons are:
- The toy comes with only two mallets. You need to buy more mallets if several children will play with the toy.
This is not a simplistic toy, but a basic musical instrument to introduce your toddler to the basics of music.
Basic Beat 8-Note Resonator Bells with Case
Brightly colored C-c diatonic bell set with transparent case, included one pair of mallets. Bells may be individually removed. Pair of mallets included.
Gifts from $50
This is a great gift for any child that loves speed. The PlasmaCar does not need any batteries or pedals. It is good for indoor and outdoor play alike, and it can reach a top speed of 6 mph. Safety should not be a concern since this toy meets all the safety standards in the United States and other countries. The PlasmaCar is not for children only. Adults can use it too, as long as they do not exceed 220 lb in weight. This toy has several pros such as:
- No batteries are needed;
- Compliance with American and European safety standards;
- Easy assembly;
- Very smooth rides.
Now, some of the cons of this toy are:
- The PlasmaCar does not ride properly on rough surfaces. Hence, carpets, gravel, or grass are not good for this toy;
- The PlasmaCar is best for children at least 3 years old. It may or may not be adequate for your 2-year-old toddler.
This is a toy that any adventurous kid will love.
PlasmaCar The Original by PlaSmart
The PlasmaCar is easy to operate, and helps your child develop coordination, balance, and motor skills while harnessing the natural forces of inertia, centrifugal force, gravity, and friction. PlasmaCar is adult-friendly too: it doesn’t require an expensive power source that needs constant replacement, it provides kids with plenty of exercise, and it is quiet, the only sound you’ll hear is the sound of the wheels.
For toddlers that have an excess of energy, or for special needs kids, this trampoline is a great gift. With 36” in diameter, the trampoline is suitable for kids weighing 150 pounds or less. Your 2-year-old will be jumping for countless hours, which will help use all their energy. A trampoline helps your child to stay healthy and physically active. It improves coordination and physical strength also.
Some pros of this trampoline include:
- Easy assembly/disassembly;
- Compliance with safety standards in the United States;
- It does not require much space at home.
Some major cons are:
- Although the materials used to build the trampoline are good quality, durability seems to be an issue;
- Despite its compliance with safety standards, the use of the trampoline by a 2-year-old must be supervised by an adult. A strong and very active toddler could potentially flip it.
For very active toddlers, this can be the best gift.
The Original Toy Company Fold & Go Kids Trampoline
Our Fold & Go Trampoline is designed to keep kids bouncing for hours. Easy to assemble and perfect for indoor and outdoor active play. Kids will love jumping and laughing on their very own mini trampoline.Parents can feel good about watching their kiddos be active as they strengthen their legs and arms with every bounce. Plus, laughter and regular exercise can boost self-esteem, reduce stress and improve sleep.
This is the ultimate toy for a toddler that wants to mimic mom’s kitchen activities. This play kitchen includes a refrigerator, microwave oven, freezer, and dishwasher. Some appliances like the stove have lights and sounds. The furniture is made of composite wood materials. It is a very realistic toy kitchen that will allow your toddler to mimic your cooking. Assembling the kitchen is easy, although time-consuming.
Some of the pros of this toy are:
- Made of wood, which gives a more realistic look in comparison with similar toys made of plastic;
- Plenty of storage space;
- A compact design, which requires little space at home.
Some of the cons are:
- You will need 2 or 3 hours to assembly the entire kitchen;
- Even though the kitchen has many shelves, the refrigerator does not have much storage space.
However, this can arguably be one of the most realistic play kitchens on the market.
KidKraft Ultimate Corner Play Kitchen with Lights & Sounds
With a sleek and modern design, KidKraft’s Ultimate Corner Play Kitchen is a fun focal point for any kid’s play day. With so much to do, this kitchen playset will provide hours of fun cooking, cleaning and even tending to laundry – just like Mom and Dad.
About your guides
Dan Reviews Staff
(Dan Reviews is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission)
Featured Image Source: Unsplash.